Oh Bev, my blessing and my nightmare. She was the Assistant to the President, clearly more important than insignificant, inexperienced, little me. She was amazing at her job, obviously I was not. She was unbelievably territorial, and even though I had worked at the company for almost a year, she most certainly didn't want me encroaching on her space. She wanted me to fail and wasn't shy about saying so. She half-heartedly tried to train me by barking at me and generally poorly explaining procedures and tasks I was supposed to take over for her. The job was created so I could help her and remove a few things off her exceedingly busy plate. The higher ups spun it that I was going to be great for her; she, on the other hand, wanted no part of me. What a nightmare!
Her main complaint? I didn't write anything down. (Honest side bar: this statement was not entirely true and not entirely false.)
Did it ever occur to her that maybe I felt I learned better by doing? Did it ever occur to her that maybe I had a very good memory and didn't need to write everything down? Did it ever occur to her that I was only 24 and maybe just didn't "get it" yet? Yeah, that last one probably rang the most true. Regardless, I didn't write enough down. She repeatedly complained about me and talked down to me, and, after 6 miserable months, I'd had enough. I quit.
As I reflected several years later on this experience, my takeaway was this. Did Bev have unrealistic expectations of me? Maybe. Was I set up for failure? Possibly. Could I have done better? Most definitely! Learned lesson: "For Pete's sake, Jill, write some crap down next time."
Fast forward 18 years. I live and breathe by my clipboard. Upon my clipboard resides my weekly task list. I highlight it day by day to prioritize tasks and use a black sharpie to fiercely cross things off as they are accomplished. And I've even written something on the list just to have the satisfaction of crossing it off. I write down everything! You're welcome, Bev.
I make a concerted effort every week to keep this list up to date. I use Microsoft Outlook to keep the list. That way I can keep recurring items on it without having to retype them every single week. Then, on Friday, the last thing I do before I leave the office is go through the Outlook list and mark the items completed. This regenerates a new list for the next week, which I print and attach to my clipboard.
Bev, you're my blessing. Most days, these days, I excel at my job. I knew, even 18 years ago, that this was a job I could do well. So, after taking a small detour into the teaching profession for a few years, I ended up as an Administrative Assistant again and have been doing this type of work for the past 13 years. Generally, I think most people like working with me because, they know if they ask me to do something, it will get done. I have come a long way since my days with Bev. If Bev could see me now, she may even give me a little high five... meh, maybe not, but hey, a girl can wish! So, thank you, Bev, for being my blessing, for challenging me to do better, and for making me obsessed with my checklist and my awesome clipboard. I thank you and my fellow co-workers thank you too!

No comments:
Post a Comment